Sunday, August 26, 2007

(Some)Italian Americans are ignorant.

Let me begin by saying that I'm part Italian and I have grown up around many Italian Americans. I also took some Italian in college. Even from a young age, I never understood why people would say words like mootz-a-rell instead of mozzarella, pro-shoot instead of prosciutto, spi-gget instead of spaghetti, mani-goat instead of manicotti, guv-a-deel instead than cavatelli, etc... I thought maybe that is how they said it in the old country. Well, what I've learned is that most American's of Italian descent don't know shit about Italy. In Italy they don't say any of these words this way. It's a stupid bastardized way that NYC and New Jersey Italian Immigrants began to speak because they couldn't write words correctly. Basically, it's an affectation. It's much like Ebonics. People can say words however they want, but I hate how people who mispronounce these words think that they are so "cultured" and are saying them correctly. Don't explain to me how I need to understand that people from certain parts of Italy speak that way, when what you really mean is people from certain parts of New Jersey do.

No comments: